User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Vocals crackling..

Battle Record
    12-18

Vocals crackling..

This just seems to keep fucking up no matter what.

My mic keeps crackling from noise distortion no matter how many times I adjust my mic gain.

If my gain is too low then by the time I turn the vocals up they crackle, if my gain is too high it crackles if my voice raises, so I really don't know what to do.. I'v asked almost everyone about this already & it still crackles when I get the vocals to sound as loud as they should be...

Does this mean I NEED a good pre amp to stop this? Thing is tho any other person I know who puts their mic into a interface without a pre amp doesn't have this type of problem at ALL...

Like even without a fucking pre amp my stupid 100 dollar USB mic shouldn't be sounding 3 or 4x better than a 500+ dollar mic with a 250+ interface that crackles 'n shit... or somtimes it's not even a crackle it's a wierd ass echo but mostly crackle

could this possibly be because of that soundproof box thing I use? I know my shit isn't fucked cus this works on other programs
    Last edited by Tebo; November 10th, 2009 at 05:13 AM

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Re: Vocals crackling..

post a pic of your "booth", does your voice crackle when you record with another program?
    Last edited by .Bullet.; November 11th, 2009 at 12:34 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    12-18

Quote Originally Posted by .Bullet. View Post
    post a pic of your "booth", does your voice crackle when you record with another program?
    pic of my booth is in another post on here called "New soundproof booth I made, thoughts?" & no it doesn't in other programs, but this program is my main 1

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

o yeuh yeuh, the barrell thing, crackling? id thought it would echo more then crackle, have you tried taking it out of the booth and trying to record?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    12-18

this is my new hypothesis:

I am using Adobe Audition 1.5, I'm hearing that it doesn't support ASIO or somthing so I'm thinking if I download 3.0 that maybe this problem will change?

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

ok, you said it doesnt crackle with other programs correct? why not use it with one of those.

Battle Record
    12-18

Quote Originally Posted by .Bullet. View Post
    ok, you said it doesnt crackle with other programs correct? why not use it with one of those.
    I use Adobe 1.5, I just found out it does not support ASIO which has to do with phantom power (I dunno details) however adobe audition 3.0 does support ASIO so I'm downloading that right now to see if it works

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

ASIO has nothing to do with phantom power. It's a driver technology. Did you fix this problem with audition 3?

Battle Record
    12-18

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    ASIO has nothing to do with phantom power. It's a driver technology. Did you fix this problem with audition 3?
    man honestly, I thought I did but it's like I have it how you said to set & it's too quiet to sound clear without being too loud it disorts or somthing (the -12dB thing) or like too loud on the microphone, it's not even a crackle it's more like distortion when too loud I dunno how to explain but it doesn't seem to be doing well, all I can fully say is it doesn't come out smooth when I get the vocals to sound right with the beat, sumtimes it does

this is messed up it's like I can't record a smooth take, um could this be because I don't have a pre amp, not fully in soundproof, not far away from the mic my pop filter is about 3 inches & I'm about 1 inch from that, or that my pop filter is sorta shakey, I'v been trying everything

also about the other thread my thing only has 16.8 float not 24, but my bit is set to 24

ALSO: I thought ASIO was the driver connection/just generic word for the driver that ur interface actually is. To make my interface driver show up on 3.0 I had to put it on advanced driver. Apparently it's better than windows sound.. which is the only option in Adobe 1.5 apparently
    Last edited by Tebo; November 14th, 2009 at 05:31 AM

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Dude you have to use common sense here. If the vocals aren't distorted when you record them but when u mess with them they get distorted then the problem is obviously what you're doing to them when mixing.

It sounds like you're turning them up until they start clipping. You just don't know how to mix. You don't just turn the vocals up until they pop out over the beat. You have to use mixing techniques. EQ. Compression. Shit like that. Mixing is an art form. You can't expect to just magically get a good mix. You need to educate yourself on proper mixing techniques. I guarantee there's nothing wrong with your equipment. Just learn how to mix. You need to learn some basics. You have a lot to learn before you even get close to a good mix. Trust me.

Battle Record
    12-18

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    Dude you have to use common sense here. If the vocals aren't distorted when you record them but when u mess with them they get distorted then the problem is obviously what you're doing to them when mixing.

It sounds like you're turning them up until they start clipping. You just don't know how to mix. You don't just turn the vocals up until they pop out over the beat. You have to use mixing techniques. EQ. Compression. Shit like that. Mixing is an art form. You can't expect to just magically get a good mix. You need to educate yourself on proper mixing techniques. I guarantee there's nothing wrong with your equipment. Just learn how to mix. You need to learn some basics. You have a lot to learn before you even get close to a good mix. Trust me.
    but like with a USB mic I could turn the volume up on my vocals an it would be perfectly clear, it really doesn't make sense, I'm not trying to mix I don't mix as you know, I just don't get why it's impossible to hear the vocals clear like you could on a USB

Like your saying to just record a vocal, then to make the volume of it fit the beat not have the beat overpower it & sound clear it needs to be mixed first?
    Last edited by Tebo; November 14th, 2009 at 06:10 AM

Battle Record
    12-18

Like, okay.. I had used the tutorial that was posted for low quality mics to get best quality with all the pre sets, stopped using it when I got my new mic tho, like I stopped using the pre sets. Are you saying if I use those pre sets again it will fix things if I just mess with that stuff again?

Damn so like, the raw raw vocal can't just sound ''smooth'' matching the beat without fuzzing up until that stuff is applied? Is this what your saying?

Like if I mess with this tutorial again, do you think this would help the volume/clearness of my problem?
    http://www.rapbattles.com/forum/show...466/index.html

& what would the use of something like Ableton Live 8 be?
    Last edited by Tebo; November 14th, 2009 at 08:28 AM

Battle Record
    12-18

would sending a sample help show u what I mean for the problem?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

That's a horrible tutorial. Don't ever use presets. You need to learn how to use fx properly and learn proper mix techniques. Post a sample of the raw vocal track.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

eh opey, do you happen to have a unmixed track, and the same track in a mixed version, i always hear it needs mixing etc. but i want to hear the difference for myself.