Thread: SS Week 7 Mag

Battle Record
    32-8
    Awards 25+ Wins

SS Week 7 Mag

http://i49.tinypic.com/21j856h.png

Songs Of The Week
    Here's A Double-Dose

So I've decided that it's merely a waste of time to put these here, but I also decided that I don't give a fuck what you want...bitch! No, but seriously...there's no reason to not share and all of this must be heard. The first song, I'm sure many of you know the artist, but check it out because the song is very dope. Now, this next artist, I'm almost certain that most of you have no clue who he is, but he's a real deep and lyrical cat named Promoe, got them rasta dreads, but it's some smooth hip hop, love it or live it, it's some good listening. The next track is one of my favorite artists, Aesop Rock and this song has a little different feel compared to the first 2 songs, but it really is fresh and the song overall is just beast, Aesop is a great lyricist, peep this one. AOTP, or Army Of The Pharaohs, is a Jedi Mind Tricks produced super-group founded by Vinnie Paz and this group is just sick, some really good music from these guys and this song "Seven" is one of my personal favorites from them. Enjoy all this music guys and remember...sharing is caring!

[YOUTUBE]xcKB13xGn0Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]i7UmiSl7Rb4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZEBGCOCxLgA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cASLfP6mkC0[/YOUTUBE]

Introduction
    Hello, Hello

This week was, in many ways, fucking awesome. We've got a record amount of members consistently dropping and competing every week, I think we have 26 this week and last week we had 24...it's insane, we've got 4 new people signed up too. The league is thriving, great news. On a side note though, this league is kinda fucking up...I mean, I understand you guys have lives, but Blacketh and SMZ both dropped weak this time around...two of our better heads, it's just like...make us believe you want it everytime you drop something. Besides that though guys, this is a great way for the league to look...especially at the fucking "halfway point" of the regular season. Remember, we're all trying to elevate, so please continue to vote. Let's get into this magazine, word!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zecpwm.png

Week 7 Battle Reviews
    Lacking the Spark

Champ: Blacketh (6-0) vs. SMZ (5-1)

Going into this match, it was expected that you'd be getting a great one from it, but that was not the case. Blacketh is the people's champion right now and he's deserved it, surely - but this drop from him was subpar compared to his work in past weeks and it seems like he's losing some wind in his sails after reading this drop. The flow was on point, but the concept wasn't very creative, which is something we've come to expect from him and it was sorta a letdown, overall good though. SMZ was rushed this week and unfortunately one of his best concepts fell flat because of that fact. He came with his usually strong flow and all, but the problem with the piece was the length, there was too much detail missing. In the end, a rushed piece fell short this week and Blacketh kept his title for another week.

Winner: Blacketh

Contendor: Cry (4-2) vs. Soulstice (3-1)

Soulstice came into this match with a very on and off, stop and go feel to his piece, which turned out to be the same way other people viewed it as well. Nothing against Soul here, he did his thing against Cry, but was outdone completely on this one. Cry came in with the desire to get his rematch with Blacketh and as it seemed, this was motivation week for a lot of our writer's to kick it up a notch and Cry was one of the ones that really brought it, had a dope piece to back himself with and he got his rematch now.

Winner: Cry

Tim (5-1) vs. KING (3-2)

Upset of the week to many of the readers I would assume, but this was actually pretty good. The thing that really shocked me wasn't the piece that KING dropped, but it was the piece that Tim dropped - I think it lacked the feel that Tim is usually able to convey with and that's where he fell short. KING came with some of his better work and was able to take the win over a very strong writer this time.

Winner: KING

Brandon Cee (0-0) vs. White-Winter (3-1)
    by Cry

White's rhyme scheme was strong, but as the piece progressed in flow, he fell off just as fast as he got on..there were too many flaws for a piece that small. He seemed pressed for time or unmotivated, which in turn led to Brandon's piece being produced in the same fashion. It was better than White's conceptually and mechanically in the end, giving his verse every vote there was to give. It's a short verse with a few dope lines, while White just comes up short with an even smaller/less thought out read... Dissapointing battle here,but Brandon takes the win.

Winner: Brandon Cee

Bobericc (4-2) vs. Tactixx (2-2)

Bobericc really fell apart this week. There was one vote that stuck out to me and they noted that his flow was off and on and that's the one thing Bob usually has on lock, so I think he was just unprepared or perhaps experimenting, unsure, but it wasn't very strong. Tactixx came with his usual stuff and really, it was just a solid drop and in the end, he had the more solid verse and took the win here pretty easily.

Winner: Tactixx

SyaNidal (4-2) vs. Quality (2-1)

SyaNidal already let me know that he feels he should have never lost this match and although I didn't vote...checking into it now, I agree. It was a disappointing ending for the match, but the votes were not in Sya's favor. Quality won, yes, but I think his verse was lacking in quite a few aspects and although the voters disagree with me, just saying, this fucking sucks honestly. Anyhow, Quality wins in what I suppose would be considered an upset.

Winner: Quality

Baron P (3-3) vs. Tr3aZoN (3-3)

Baron has really been up and down this season, winning some, losing some and barely breaking .500 on the season sometimes. This week though, he dropped pretty well, considering the way he's been dropping, maybe he's on his way back this time? Anyhow, Treazon was able to carry a bigger verse into the match and he ended up with the stronger drop. It was a good match and although Baron did well, it wasn't enough.

Winner: Tr3aZoN

Ink Edible (2-2) vs. Phazed (2-3)

There's so much surrounding this match because Ink Edible has been on the downhill climb for the past few weeks and he's really unlucky because he's catching some of his losses while dropping good piece, though that wasn't the case this week. Phazed has really come into his own in the league since he's been here and I think he really came with a strong piece this week, one of his better ones for sure. Kinda one-sided, but Phazed got it.

Winner: Phazed

Wordz AhGod (2-4) vs. The Axeman (1-0)

Wordz did well enough this week to take the win even though the votes were not in his favor originally. It turns out that Axeman aka Vitalsyn was a biter and he has been kicked out of the league. Wordz has come up from his first few battles, he just needs to catch a win streak and he'll be fine. In the end, biter loses...Wordz wins because he wrote something original this week...hahahahaha.

Winner: Wordz AhGod

Scientific (2-4) vs. Grimreapa (1-0)

There was a big misunderstanding in this match after the fact that I had closed it because Grim thought he would get the win because Scientific was late after the extension he got, but the votes had already started coming in and I never got a message saying to have it closed by Grim, so I left it open to be fair...anyhow, Scientific won the match with the better verse, although Grim dropped a good one considering he's still shaking some more of the rust off at this time.

Winner: Scientific

YDK (1-3) vs. Archetype (0-0)

YDK dropped a decent piece, he was no showed though, which sucked. Archie was unable to make it because of a work schedule issue and that's understandable, so word. This would have been good to see, but it didn't happen this time around. Good drop though for YDK, he's really growing in the league pretty well.

Winner: YDK

Rivalyn (0-0) vs. Erun (0-1)

I wasn't too sure what to think about this match before I went in to read it because I haven't seen much from either of these guys and I have to say, I was a little disappointed in both verses, but for similar reasons really. Rivalyn wrote a lot of shit that sounded good, but it really didn't make sense or some of the words seemed completely out of place in the section, period. Erun also had wording issues, but his were awkward. He had some poetic wording and then he'd say words that didn't belong...like cussing out of no where, etc...it was just a weird drop to read, good concept though and he took it in the end.

Winner: Erun

http://i49.tinypic.com/dr6ryc.png

Riddle Me This/Riddle Me That
    Interview with Quotient

Alright, welcome. Good to have you in the mag and the league. Anyhow, seeing as this is your first week, I doubt that you have seen much from these writers, but on the chance that you know some of the writers, who do you think would be somebody you'd like to face in the future and why?

Quality, SMZ, Blacketh, and Tim would be the guys i look forward to facing the most. all for different reasons.. Quality is Sand which i recently found out. talented writer and an old school head like myself. i love going against the old writers and in his hay-day he was a beast on the topical tip. it'd be nostalgic for me and i think it'd make a great read. SMZ and Tim i am impressed with. they possess great mechanics and if their story isn't bland or been used to death they really bring heat in my eyes. both have impressed me at times and i look forward to facing them. like Sand it'd make a great read. and lastly, Blacketh. i mean.. he's champ for a reason. full of talent and he's undefeated. i'd love to take a stab at giving him his first loss. if he loses before i make it to him i still would enjoy facing him. he's the guy who i didn't know anything about that impressed me the most based solely on his writing. (maybe he's an alias that i don't know ?)

It's known that the league prides itself with great writing, but some of the better known heads have been, or at least were, struggling in the league. My question is...is there any person, if you know any, that has a record that might surprise you and why?

Syn and Soulstice's records surprised me. Soulstice's more so then Syn. but i mean both of these guys have dropped some nice pieces throughout their stay here and it's just really surprising to see them with records like that. i figured they'd be more towards the top then they are. but times change. i don't know many old heads that ALWAYS win through the years. a loss is bound to happen.

Moving away from the league and focusing more on you as an individual - how many times have you been in this league and what has brought you back to it after such a seemingly long break?

Uhm. i have been in the topical leagues 3 times total on RB. i was more into the topical leagues on RM in my texting years.. being originally from there i just enjoyed that competition a little more at the time. but i did champ this league before. and i just really felt like writing again. i always enjoyed writing pieces in topical leagues/tournies. and i feel that is where i shine the best. there's no real big reason other then i genuinely wanted to on my own.

With writers like this league has it's tough to think there's any one person outright better than the rest, but what type of goals have you set for yourself in this league? Do you plan on champing the season or is this more for your leisure?

Of course. i'm going to champ the league. that is a goal. but i want to do it while having fun with my writing. i like the fact that for the most part everyone gets along and sticks to writing. i have never felt that beef belongs in a topical forum. i would also like to go undefeated (lol..) but those are my three goals. if i lose so what. if i don't win the championship, so what. but i damn sure want to make sure i have fun. when it stops being fun it'll become a chore.

With so little experience in the league this season, it's hard to continue the interview much farther, but I will say thank you. Also, I wanted to know if you have any shot-outs before we sign off?

Shout outs to you of course brandon for making this league look like a smooth-running, respectable place to write. Shout outs to Sand and any of the old Wordperfect members. the crew is dead but i still like to rep the old days. and shout out to all the battles man. yall made me want to write and that's worth the shout out.

http://i48.tinypic.com/23iw8bs.png

Verse of the Week
    by Cry

Box of Nothing
    By: Cry

Pretending is Happiness...

Excuse my words, and excuse the letters you think occur...
    'cause if you think on what I say, then what you think is worse
    don't suggest the best doctors, no release has worked
    ...it's just a jealous streak in me (so don't you blink at her)
    don't distinguish verbs... each one is the same problem
    watch what you say 'cause I can't stomach the same gossip
    I just don't think that there's a plane for lovers to take off in...
    Well, here's the world I'm in: I love you's a plain comment
    if fucking's a sign of love, then I love when you say "Stop it"
    our habits have changed, I never loved you this way.. honest
    you say you're losing weight, but nothing you say's progress
    succumb to the pain, vomit.. 'cause I can't tell you what to do
    but I'll tell you it's a lie that I'm compelled to touchin' you
    what's the truth? you're another stone... thrown to the heart
    the real reason I'm ahead on every stroll through the park
    I even stare at "Missing" posters just in hopes that you are
    'til I get home to be upset because I notice you aren't...
    girl, you may be a flower... but a Lotus? too far...
    Dandelion, 'cause I'd make a simple wish just to blow you apart
    my nose is too large, I've told fibs for far too long
    and yet my fairytale face cannot persist to ward you off
    resisting heart you not's -- which I wrote on each petal
    a rose has its thorns? you've stuffed me full of these nettles...

Damn, woman...

I'm too cold to be meddled, so lately I pretend...
    but it's been done once before, you can't break the ice again
    it's like I hate "we" by excess, the word disgusts me to the core
    and I hate the fact that I'm an ass 'cause you still love me like before
    but one thing I adore... is in each act of love and fighting
    you ALWAYS hate it when I write, so here I am just fuckin' writing!
    'cause I'm past the lovely icing, the whole cake is burnt to crisp
    and you never listen to mine, so I won't take your words for shit
    I should ache, as hurt as this, but I'm as numb as our sex-life
    the first is always good, now each is dumb as the next time
    she thinks "it's nothin'... he's just fine!" but boy is she wrong
    I wanna trash our burned CD's -- every poisoning song
    it's just noise when she's gone, 'til she waddles right back, see..
    then I'm putting on a smile like McDonalds is classy
    but I'm hollow, and lacking... check the bats in my chest
    she wants to take the next step? then I'm relaxin' my head
    after that I'm impressed, now that I know there's something to her
    I'm glad I'm not the only one and we're both such fucking losers
    imperfect to the end... ugly tumors, raw and dusty
    everything I do and say?? it's so weird at all to trust me...
    although the pricks are deep, I think the thistle's onto something
    so I guess I'll pop the question... with a big ol' box of nothing.

We are gathered here today...
    Battles of the Week

Blacketh vs. SMZ
    Tim vs. KING
    Cry vs. Soulstice

No Show Shine
    by YDK (only 1 no show this week)

It's been 4 years now and after all of this time i'm still crazy,
    So i guess the only left to say, is Hapy Valentine's Day baby.
    It was a warm winter day; surprisingly, but then sun was so blinding,
    Apparently good friends plus good weather, adds up to bad timing.
    I admit that back then we were all kind of reckless,
    but i wish for your sake we really were wreck-less!
    On the way to the mall to get some kicks, shit even now i'm wearin jordans,
    but i'd trade everything to get you back, material things aint important.
    We made a cross for you, even painted it your favorite color; baby pink,
    Cuz after i realized that we lost you, it hit me hard and made me think.
    Like what does life mean? where do we go when we die?
    Is the Bible stating facts, or is it just showing me lies?
    I've prayed for you to come back but i've realized that's not possible,
    So having faith in God is the only thing logical!
    But back to the topical i'll keep you in my heart when i pray,
    Lay some pink flowers on your grave,
    Happy Valentines Day

R.I.P.
    Lindsey Fern Morgan
    Fatal car wreck on Feb. 14 2006
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...tFordTough.jpg

Power Rankings
    Built to Last

Blacketh

Undefeated, undisputed champion of SS so far and nobody is on a level with him right now, this is him at his best as of late, minus pieces of this week, but he's very deserving of this number 1 spot.

Cry

Easily one of the top contendors in this league and he's proving it week in and week out. Rough start to his season, but he's a 5 win streak now and he's gunning for that title now.

KING

To many of us, it's quite a shock to see the kid make it here, but there are more of us that couldn't expect to see him do what he's been doing as of late either. Kid's getting it in and fits in this spot for sure.

Tim

This is the type of dude that you "hate-to-love" and "love-to-hate" sometimes, but he's really a great writer...though he's caught a few snags, he stands a chance among the best in the league.

SMZ

The number 5 spot is for SMZ because although he's been falling off recently, he's not falling off because he's bad, it's only because he's losing. One of the better writers in the league, deserving of this spot for now.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ztjayr.png

Week 8 Predictions
    The Future is Now!

Champ: Blacketh (7-0) vs. Cry (5-2)

Now, even though it's obvious...I just want to make note that this match is going to be fucking insane. Blacketh has beaten Cry once this season and even then, the match was good. Blacketh will need to work hard and come back a little bit after last week's piece because Cry is headhunting this week. Cry and Blacketh are both great writers and this will more than likely prove to be one of the best matches this season, as well as battle of the week next week. Should be nice.

v/Cry

Contendor: KING (4-2) vs. Tr3aZoN (4-3)

Confidence? Check. Talent? Check. Determination though, seems to be leaning very heavily in KING's favor as he's been recently writing some of his best work to date and he's only improving with each week. Treazon should not be counted out here, by any means, as he's been growing himself and becoming a strong writer, but for me, this match here is going to come down to who wants it more and as long as KING follows the path he's been on, the outcome will be in his favor...and I don't feel Treazon will pull the upset this week.

v/KING

Tim (5-2) vs. SMZ (5-2)

The reject battle, lmao, just kidding guys. Tim and SMZ have always been those top level writers this season, hitting a couple bumps along the way, but nevertheless, these guys can rock it for sure. I think the main concern I have for Tim is that he hasn't been showing us much of his creativity lately, much like Blacketh, that has really set Tim back recently, so look for him to work on that, while SMZ works on not rushing his work. I realize there's time allotted and what not, but he could have pulled a better verse out last week imo. Should be fun to read, looks good.

v/Tim

Bobericc (4-3) vs. Quality (3-1)

Bobericc has been in a slump lately and it's not getting any better lately. He's been writing and showing weekly, but he seems to have hit a wall or something because he's not where he used to be, although I can see him coming back around and if he focuses this week, he could win. Quality is hit or miss with me, some of his work is fresh and creative and some of it is blahness and lately I feel his record isn't showing what he's been dropping, which is that blahness I was mentioning. He also needs to get out of his slump, but I think he needs another week or two and therefore, I got Bob winning. This one should be decent to read though.

v/Bobericc

SyaNidal (4-3) vs. Phazed (3-3)

Nothing negative to really say about this match and honestly, this is going to be the turning point for SyaNidal after that horrible loss from last week and he'll come back with that shit he's known for, already expecting that. Phazed has come into himself a bit in this league, having a rough go, but he strays from his topics here and there and it seems to really distract the reader. If Phazed can stay on topic and Sya comes with his usual, this could be entertaining, but I think it will still seem one-sided.

v/Syanidal

Soulstice (3-2) vs. Tactixx (3-2)

Soulstice dropped sort of an 'iffy' type of piece last week as Tactixx came with his usual shit. Both of these writers are dope and also, I feel that they are evenly matched up in almost every category. The thing that I feel is going to decide the winner is the fact that Tactixx has the upperhand on his story-telling and if it comes down to anything, that might be it because these guys are good at many of the writing apsects. It's looking like it'll be pretty good.

v/Tactixx

White-Winter (3-2) vs. Scientific (3-4)

Scientific is another writer that's really hit or miss for me, he can bring the fire he needs most of the time, but sometimes he has the habit of dropping mediocre or "half-assed" if you will and that's what holds him back as a consistent writer in the league. WW on the other hand has the same problem. These guys are similar writers, but I don't think there's a chance for WW unless Scientific completely fails this week.

v/Scientifc

Wordz AhGod (3-4) vs. Northern Beggar (2-0)

Wordz got his win last week because his opponent is a biter outside of the league and I disqualified him from the league, but that's not to say Wordz didn't do well. This is one of the better things he has dropped since he's been here this season. Beggar has been gone for a week or so and has come back to hopefully pick up where he left off - if that's the case for him as well, then he should be able to take the win this week, although Wordz could upset if he's not careful. This might be nice.

v/Northern Beggar

Ink Edible (2-3) vs. Grimreapa (1-1)

Ink has been on a decline for a few weeks and I think he's tired of losing at this point. I'm also convinced that he'll drop something creative and hopefully strong enough to compete this week because he's capable of much more than he's been giving us lately. Grim, on the other hand, feels like he was robbed of his win last week and will more than likely stop at nothing to win this, just to throw himself back on the map. Expect both of these guys to do well here though, should be fun to read.

v/GrimReapa

YDK (2-3) vs. Brandon Cee (1-0)
    by Cry

YDK is an up and coming writer, the dude hasn't really been dropping that amazingly impressive shit we long for as readers though. Brandon's back finally and he's still got it, and I really don't EXPECT to see him lose but who knows.. YDK could bring some new found A-game and bring down the house, unlikely as it may seem. I see Brandon winning this, though we could see some class effort from YDK.

v/Brandon Cee

Erun (1-1) vs. Archetype (0-1)

Erun is the weirdest writer in the league, there we go - I finally mentioned that fact that the dude writes some abstract as fuck work. Last week, I wasn't completely impressed and although the idea was dope, but wording and everything was off course by a bit and to win, Erun will need to fix that imo. Archie, I can't say anything really about him because I have never seen his work, but I know his LLL work and I think if he's on a similar level here, he could possibly pull an upset out on this one.

v/Archetype

Mafioso (0-1) vs. Rivalyn (0-1)

Mafioso is more than likely not showing up, that's just my opinion right from the get go - but in the event he does show, I think he stands a decent chance to win this one because he's got the basics down and I think he could out-write Rivalyn given the right motivation. Rivalyn's piece last week gives me reason to believe he's semi-retarded - just kidding - but some of the wording was like what does that mean? It's gonna take some reworking to get the win, but I think Rivalyn got this.

v/Rivalyn

Quo (0-0) vs Topic (0-0)

Topic is too deep into poetry right now and I think this is going to be a big part in the outcome of this match. On one hand, he's a great writer, but on the other hand, he's really rusty and he'll have to give a lot of effort to probably even compete with Quo at this point. Quo is a veteran, regardless of what people know about him, he's a well-rounded writer with motivation for success and so I expect that he'll bring some good shit and take the win pretty handily in my opinion.

v/Quo

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...4adcb89055.gif
    Last edited by Brandon Cee; February 19th, 2010 at 07:34 AM

Battle Record
    32-8
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: SS Week 7 Mag

done!
    Legendary Song - Winter Snow

You've earned a custom title! Cody Nash's Avatar
    Battle Record
    242-30
    Awards LLL HOF PS Champion/IE Champion Legendary OM Legendary Member SS Season Champion SS HW Champion OM HOF FL Champion 200+ Wins Haiku Season Champion

doooooooope mag bro-man...

*points at blacketh*

WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?? WHEN SULKAMANIA...

COMES FOR YOOOOUUU!!!!

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion

good job on the mag - nice to see the interview with Quo... he was one of the heavyweights when i first came to this site, but stopped posting regularly soon after... at least as far as i remember...

its refreshing to me to see writers like him coming back, i think it will help illustrate and spread the ways of writing that i've always viewed as 'dope'... i really think we need more tutoring - so that ppl get more familiar with really spotting the difference between polished pieces and those that aren't...

i'm glad to see Blacketh reigning right now too... cause his writing has been consistently good imo, and several times just plain nasty

nice verse from cry too... it's the first time i've seen him write like i expected from the rep i presumed he had

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hence Forward

Fly in under the Radar. Tactixx's Avatar
    Battle Record
    14-9

Werd....Good Job bro.....If you ever need a hand...dont be afraid to PM me...
    Peace..

Fly in under the Radar. Tactixx's Avatar
    Battle Record
    14-9

Lol @ sulkamania!!!

Battle Record
    3-2

damn good mag man. i just finished reading the whole thing. nice work. best league mag i've seen in a long ass time. and no i'm not being partial since i was the interview. i seriously thought you did a good job.
    WordPerfect

Battle Record
    15-10

great mag..i see i continue to be the under dog but id be lyin if i said i didnt love it....loved the vids...nice job brandon

Battle Record
    4-10

Cool mag dude....

Scytsophrenia

On that next level.. but STILL fuckin' crazy.

[soundclick]7321513[/soundclick]

Awards SS HOF SS HW Champion SS Season Champion Legendary OM Legendary Member OM HOF

well done again man .. always a great sum-up of the league.

didnt know you hated my drop this week that much .. lol
    I'm here to break my own ball and chain..

Battle Record
    8-3

dope ass mag man, thanks for the read

You've Earned a Custom Title! Northern Beggar's Avatar

very well done! and this week should be a good week.
    [youtube]DmSREFKsZ7Y[/youtube]

Battle Record
    3-6

good mag woot woot
    ~WV~

~IP~

Soule

Dope magazine dude.

Topic
    Battle Record
    3-3

good mag, thanks for calling me a great writer and yeah I may be a little rusty for the first couple of weeks. I have to remember how to rhyme
    Scytsophrenia